Its always nice to hear other perspectives on our country Nigeria isnt it? Even if its from a Nigerian. Some family friends and I( and my sister) were talking about Nigeria ( at ihop lol), well mainly because a group of haitian abi na black american guys came up to us and asked us where we were from( yea our beauty was just too mush for them o! lol) and we said Nigeria, so our family friends ( 2 sisters who btw were born/raised here) said "We are from Nigeria, but we hate that place, that place is condemmed" ( these 2 have only been there once, when they were 1 and 4, do 1 and 4 yr olds really remember traveling to another country??) The guys were laughin n saying yea we dont want to go to Haiti ( can u blame them?)Then one of the sisters asks my sister ( who went to naija in 99) what is there to do in Nigeria anyway?( my sis had tooo much fun in naija she didnt even want to come back )She was askin this question as if the whole country is a bush with wild animals running everywhere...can u imagine? They really sounded like typical naija-american kids o. I was sort of looking them from another pov, as in I was looking at them from a real naija pov...some of my fellow naija- americans really surprise me o. I mean wow, I'm no expert on Naija but I know my stuff about the country...I know that people do have fun just like anywhere else...but to say the place is condemmed and that u hate the place is a little harsh...I just hope its not their mother and/ or father feeding them those kind of ideas about the country because quite frankly life doesnt end and begin in America..sheesh!! opening up the mind to different cultures is truly liberating...like foreal some ppl need to relax cuz they feel as though america is the best thing since sliced bread and cable tv...
I'll be babysitting all week, the job I applied to...hmm i waiting for them to call me n tell me when orientation is going to be...the semester is starting in what? idk three weeks or something.vacation so far has been anything but exciting i feel like a nanny-babysitting my cousins everyday like i dont hv a life...havent registered yet...the financial aid ppl r messin with me...and my hopes for transfering are dashed...im getting a crazy/funny/weird/negative feeling that i wont get accepted to where i want to go n that def. scares me...

I pity those who think like your friends, they'll be so shocked if they do visit. Apart from naija, there are several countries and cultures in this world and they should open their eyes.
ReplyDeleteOn your school apps, I wish you the best. Don't lose hope or give up OK?
I say the same thing! Just like my post. Nigerian Americans who don't value their country or even know simple facts. Its sad really.
ReplyDeleteThis is so wrong info......all da best dear!
ReplyDeleteU shudda slapped somebody damsel
ReplyDeletethats just sad
ReplyDeleteIts a shame when Nigerians diss their own country..but like u said it's prob their parents and the media feeding em' that nonsense.
ReplyDeleteThink positive..u never know, u might just get accepted!
damn but I also blame the parents for not doing enough to teach their children about the culture. A lot of Nigerian Americans I know are actually trying to adopt the culture now though.
ReplyDeleteI know I'm going to make more of an effort to know my Yoruba more. I am forcing my parents to only speak to me in Yoruba.
ReplyDelete